This special call for concept proposals is made under The Bahamas Hurricane Dorian Recovery Grant between the Caribbean Biodiversity Fund (CBF) and BPAF. Each project will be supported by the CBF and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development through the German Development Bank (KfW).
Concepts will only be considered for activities on or around Abaco and Grand Bahama, and must fall within the purpose of the funding specifically: ecosystem impact assessments, ecosystem-based recovery efforts (including protected areas infrastructure), the provision of water purification systems and renewable energy initiatives, in each case on or around Abaco and Grand Bahama.
Funding Purpose and Priorities
All project concepts must focus on at least one of eight, key BPAF funding priorities. These priorities are displayed in the table below.
Project concept proposals submitted by the application deadline – see Section 8, will first be assessed for eligibility based on the information outlined in this document. Proposals which meet the basic eligibility criteria (See Section 5, below), will be invited to submit a full proposal application. This application will be reviewed by the BPAF Grants Review Committee. Following this review, the top ranked proposals will be subject to approval by the BPAF Board of Directors. Once approved by the Board, successful full proposal applicants will be notified of the award of a grant.
Apart from falling within the scope of this special call for proposals, other basic eligibility criteria for grants from BPAF include the following:
Grantees must be legally incorporated NGOs or Government agencies;
Proposed projects for grant funding must have consistency of purpose with that of the Fund as outlined in section 6 of the BPAF Act 2014 and
Proposed projects must align with the funding purpose and priorities identified in Section 2 above.
Activities which are NOT eligible for grants from the Fund are:
Salaries for public officers of Ministries, Departments or Government agencies; Salaries for executive officers and staff of NGOs;
Recurrent costs of Ministries, Departments or Government agencies;
Activities related to extraction of non-renewable natural resources and
Activities that do not align with funding priorities identified by the BPAF Board.
- Project concept proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Alignment with the special call for proposals and Fund priorities.
- Methodology – Proposals must clearly articulate how project objectives will be achieved, what the outputs of the project will be, the type of impact the project will have and how the project will be monitored and evaluated for success.
- Organization capacity and expertise – Proposals must demonstrate the organization’s ability to execute the project through its internal administrative processes as well as the skills and experience of its staff and/or consultants responsible for executing the project.
- Cost effectiveness – Project costs should be reasonable and clearly presented.
- Clarity and focus – Proposal objectives and design should be clearly articulated.
Successful grant awardees will be required to provide progress reports on a quarterly basis and a final report at the end of the project.
Progress reports will include:
- Summary of work to date, inclusive of objectives and outputs achieved based on the project workplan
- Financial expenditure report for the quarter
- Identification of challenges encountered during the reporting period and solutions for addressing these challenges
- Activities planned for the next quarter
Final reports will include:
- All deliverables completed through the course of the project
- Lessons learned inclusive of successes and challenges
- Financial audit/report for the entire project
Interested organizations should complete the concept application through the BPAF online portal here no later than 5:00 pm EST on August 28, 2020. All applicants will be required to register (create an account), to use the on-line grants portal. Further information on selection criteria and the application process can be found on the online portal site.